Lewis C. Green, Founding President (1924-2003)
Lewis C. Green graduated in 1947 from Harvard University and in 1950 from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review. He was Law Clerk to Judge William E. Orr, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1950-51, Justice Stanley F. Reed, Supreme Court of the United States, 1951-52, and US District Judge George H. Moore, 1955-56. Before joining Green, Hennings & Henry, he served two years (1952-54) with the Appellate Division of the Office of General Counsel of the National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C. He served on the faculty of St. Louis University Law School, teaching Legislation, and Washington University School of Law, teaching Constitutional Law. He was the first Chairman of the Air Conservation Commission of Missouri, from 1965-69.
He was a member of the Missouri Bar, the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, the DC Circuit, and the Seventh Circuit, and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
He was a member of the American Bar Association, the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, the Missouri Bar Association, the American Law Institute, and the American Judicature Society. He was a life member of the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws. He was a member of the American Bar Association Sections of Litigation and Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law, and the Missouri Bar Energy and Natural Resources Committee, and the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis Environmental and Conservation Law Committee. In 1972-73 he chaired the Missouri Bar Antitrust Committee.
Publications include “State Control of Interstate Air Pollution,” 33 L&C Probs 315 (1968); “The New York Times Rule: Judicial Overkill,” 12 Villanova L.Rev. 730 (1970).
He received the Environmental Quality Award from US EPA in 1978, the Page One Civic Award from the St. Louis Newspaper Guild in 1972, and the Air Conservationist of the Year Award from the Conservation Federation of Missouri in 1970. In 2003, he was posthumously honored by the Missouri Air Conservation Commission and the Sierra Club Ozark Chapter (now known as the Sierra Club Missouri Chapter).